Share the love! One love!

Friday, October 22, 2010

1000 Smiles 2010 Day 6

Day 6

Time has been just flying by, and our days here have been so busy! Today the rain began to let up and we were able to venture out from the clinic at least a little during our lunch break. We have been consistently seeing a high number of patients, and the clinic was as full today just as any other.

I think Tina’s experience has been getting better. She had several really nervous patients today, and her rockstar bedside manner saved the day. She had one patient who was so nervous that she worked herself up to vomiting. For a sassy ER nurse this is no big deal. Jim dealt really well, just grabbing a cup, and then walking through the clinic to dispose of the cup offering to people, ‘cup o’ vomit? cup o’ vomit? ‘ All of this was happening right behind me and they were so suave about it that I never even noticed. Although, with all the noise in the clinics it is really easy to just space out and work. Head full of Rolling Stones thanks to Monica, foot tapping, working away.

After we were done for the day we were about to get on the van to go home and Preacher was mumbling something about Van no go. Van no battery. Say Wha Mon?? We’re in the middle of no where! There is no Kragen Auto Parts to get a lift to! And no one to lift you there either. So I took the opportunity to walk around the area with some of the other ladies. We came across what could have been the largest pig I had ever seen. And the funny thing was he was lying in a mud pit and so camouflaged in red clay that I nearly tripped over him.. I startled her, then she startled me. I had never been afraid or ran away from a pig before. Well, I have now! She was tied to a tree and I wasn’t about to see how long the rope was! But as pigs are, she was just itchy and after I startled her she just walked over to an orange tree and scratched her booty on it then relieved herself and went back to lying in the mud. Ahh the life of a pig :D

Tonight we decided to have a group dinner in town. It was a smashing idea. We went to Scotchies, and sat at a big round wooden table and sat of kegs with cushions on top. The food was local Jamaican, and it was fabulous. We were also introduced to a new rum, white over proof. It was lovely! It had an aged almost whiskey flavor to it, but that was just its strength. After drinking half a glass Greg said, “hey, I like this” he was grinning and a little flush. It was awesome! Go Team Awesome. Papa Joe met us out at the restaurant and I thanked him again for putting us together with such a great group. It has really been a really great week with some really great people! The pics from last night are going to be Awesome I’m sure :D

Tomorrow is our last day in Maroontown. Last long drive up and back from the clinic. Last day with Team Awesome. We’ll only see patients for half of the day since we also have to pack up a lot of gear. Next week there will be another team (just nearly as Awesome, I’m sure!!) and they will bring in some of their own gear and have another kick ass week up in the hills.

Thought for the day: Don’t judge. I find myself doing this all the time. Sometimes it just silly little things that amuse my mind, like, OMG LOOK at that shirt! WTF is she thinking?? But sometimes it runs deeper. I allow myself to judge and then create a character based on those judgments. When I’ve done this recently I’ve been wrong, and it leaves me feeling so ignorant. But how do you go about not forming opinions of others constantly? We’ll I guess I’m just going to have to work that out. {Pushes soap box back under bed}

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment