Share the love! One love!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

1000 Smiles 2010 Day 3

Day 3 (Day 1 in our new clinic home)

I’m going to try to blog every day. My intention is to not only hold onto my memories for as long as possible, but also to share my story with others and encourage you to take part in something so wonderful and giving, something that you feel passionate about that warms you from within, whether it be 1000 Smiles or any other humanitarian project home or abroad.

It gets to sound a little cheesy after a bit, you get so much more than you give back, you touch someone’s life, you make friends that will last a lifetime. But, its all true and then some. Every person I come into contact with fills me up spiritually, teaches me tolerance and humility, energizes my spirit, and perpetuates my love. It NEVER gets old.

So today, we have our morning breakfast meeting, and off to work we go. This trip up the mountain was particularly painful as I was trying to take pictures of all of the fantastic things we come across, and in the end I was getting a little car sick. So, that being said, today pics may be my only from the drive to or from work. Luckily Tina is a picture documenting feign, so there will be no lack of photographic evidence of our journeys!

Today was the smoothest day one of a project that I have ever been on. There were no major equipment issues, we all quickly got right into an awesome groove of patient flow, and the day flew by. I think between the three hygienists and two DDS we treated around 60 patients. Greg and I did extractions on 14 patients, and saw a few others for restorations. GO US! I felt in synch with our routine and we were able to leave at the end of the day having to tell only 5 patients that they had to come back another day. Of course all of this couldn’t have been done without the support from Tina backing us up and keeping us going as well as Nurse Winsome, although she was a pain in the butt sometimes, she is very familiar with the Parish and its people and the clinic facility itself.

This afternoon we had an awesome thunderstorm. Huge drops of rain fell on the top of our world that is Maroontown. Thunder, lightning, streams of thick muddy water running down the mountain. Our drive back tonight took a little longer than usual, I felt a little more pukey than usual :D

Back at our home away from home Tina and I recap our day and what things can be done to alleviate some of the stress she was feeling today from being pulled in too many directions. I’m concerned, I want this to be a good experience, and not feel like another day at the ER. We run into our team at dinner and we discuss some ways to implement those concerns. I’m confident that we will come to a good place that works for all of us.

Following dinner we checked out a craft fair that was going on. It was a little bit frustrating to deal with the merchants pushy tactics for enticing us to buy their necklaces, art and handbags. It really had the opposite effect. We walked on down the beach.

Tonight was an early night (or was supposed to be, oops, its already after midnight!) I’m really happy to be here for two weeks on this project. I feel like I don’t have to jam pack every minute to feel like I’m getting the most of it. I still have 14 more days or so!

At the end of the night tonight I got to talk to Peter for a few minutes. I am very grateful for the phone that is provided to the volunteers to contact our loved ones back home. I missed him a lot today. We realized before I left that we really hadn’t been away from one another for more than three days since we’ve been dating. I’m thankful for so many things in my life, and he’s one of them. His patient and giving nature with me allows me to be the best that I can, and give to my fullest without feeling taxed from a toxic relationship. Too much sugar? I can’t help it, I’ve got a sweet life!

No comments:

Post a Comment