Share the love! One love!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

1000 Smiles 2010 Day 0-1

Days 0-1

Wow, it was just yesterday that I had such a busy day at work, ran home, cleaned up the apartment, finished packing, sat and talked with Peter for a few minutes before jumping up, running out of the apartment, dropping my apartment keys off with Jason, who was working the door at Hobson’s and picking up Tina on the way to the airport. Yes, that was a run-on sentence that Mrs. Slack would have been mortified with, but, such was my day.

And it didn’t end there. Off we were whisked off to the airport, quick goodbyes with Peter then on to check in for our flight.

While at the kiosk I was having trouble getting my passport to scan. I was mumbling about it out loud to Tina, who was concerned with her own Visa issues, and who was not paying attention to me so much. Finally the airline worker asked if I was talking to myself, and did I need help. When she finally realized Tina was in fact with me she told her to, “ look out for her.” Am I a danger to myself and others? Is this the indication of the trip to come? Oh boy! I hope so!

So there we are in a few minutes, all checked in, drinks in hand, boarding, transferring, wash, rinse, repeat.

Finally 12 hours later we touched down in Montego Bay. It was a lovely feeling. It looks the same, felt the same as when I left it. Much the opposite as myself, I couldn’t feel more different. Through customs, picking up bags, a Red Stripe at the Sandals lounge and off we go.

We arrived at the resort shortly later, have a run in to Papa Joe while getting our rooms. It was amazing to fly across the country and down to the Caribbean and then some and see a familiar face as you walk into the lobby. We get checked in, a little unpacked and then decided to go out to the beach for a bit. Lil bit of sun, and a few drinks later and we’re ready to get ready for our welcome meeting. Great quote of the night,” excuse me bartended, but may I ask you for some directions (to another bar), as well as a pina coloada (for the walk to the next bar)? Both directions and drink were on the money.

Eventually we make it wearily to the welcome reception. We do the usual.. Who’s here? Who’s new? Who’s old, what’s your story? I was already moved to having tears in my eyes as we went around the group telling our stories, and encouraging one another. The theme of what everyone had to say was that you get more then you could ever imagine wanting. You do a good deed for mankind and mankind will take care of you. Ahh that elusive Karma card. I’m not denying the power of that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment